Spirit of Sandra Junior Curling Scholarships are funded through crowd sweeps at Season of Champion Events. These scholarships are intended for young athletes who participate in curling in their graduating year from high school or while pursuing a post-secondary education on a full-time basis. The Scholarships will be awarded to graduating high school students entering a post-secondary institution and to students in their first or second year in a post-secondary institution. Recipients must be under the age of 21 years as of March 31st in the year in which they apply. The aim is to give talented junior curlers the opportunity of combining their competitive curling pursuits with a year of academic study (i.e. September through April) in a Canadian University/College setting.
The Spirit of Sandra Junior Curling Scholarship is intended for young athletes who participate in curling while pursuing post secondary education while taking a minimum of 3 courses. Recipients must be 20 years of age or under as of June 30, 2015 and therefore eligible to compete as a junior curler. The aim is to give talented junior curlers the opportunity to successfully combine their competitive curling pursuits with their academic studies (i.e. September through April) in a Canadian University or College setting.
In recognition of Sandra Schmirler, the three-time Canadian and World Curling Champion and first gold medalist for curling in the Olympics, junior curling scholarships will be awarded in the “Spirit of Sandra” and in the name of the Sandra Schmirler Foundation.
Number of Curling Scholarships: Six (6) scholarships will be awarded.
Monetary Value of a Curling Scholarship: Each scholarship will have a value of $5,000.
The successful applicants will be reimbursed for $2,500 in both education and curling categories for a total of $5,000. All expenses must be submitted with receipts and received no later than April 30, 2017.
Criteria for Awarding Junior Curling Scholarship:
- Emphasis will be placed on athletes who have competed at the provincial/territorial level or higher, who have shown a commitment through their involvement in volunteer activities.
- Applicants must be attending, or planning to attend university, college or a CEGEP.
- Academic background – minimum grade average of 80% or equivalent grade point average (GPA).
- Must be 20 years of age or under as of June 30, 2016, a Grade 12 student entering first year of post-secondary studies or a post-secondary student entering his/her second or third year of studies.
- Applicant must be a Canadian citizen.
- Must be enrolled with a 3 course load for at least one semester (Fall/Winter/Summer).
- The awardee will agree to organize a fundraising event for the Sandra Schmirler Foundation in the 12 months following receiving the Award.
- Awardees shall agree to the “Code of Conduct” of the scholarship and sign the “Letter of Agreement“.
Application deadline for 2016 is midnight (Eastern Time) May 30, 2016. Successful applicants will be notified no later than June 15, 2016. If you have any questions please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Spirit of Sandra Junior Curling Scholarship Application must be filled out online. Once completed, you will need to “save as” a new file with your initials. Please create one PDF document that includes your completed application, your signed letter of agreement, grades/transcript, two letters of recommendation, letter of acceptance (if applicable) and email to email@example.com with the YouTube video link included in the body of the email.