PacificSport Vancouver Island staff facilitate coaching and mentoring courses year round!
Please see below for our upcoming courses!
Elevate Online Nutrition Series 2021 - Sponsored by Pomme Natural Market - Register Now
This 3-Part nutrition series delves into nutrition from three different angles: the parent, the athlete and the coach.
Participants may register for one, two, or all sessions. Each session costs $8.00, or receive a discounted rate of $20.00 if you register for all three.
Our friends at Pomme Natural Market have come on board as a fitting sponsor for this series, and we are excited to annouce that two $50 gift cards to Pomme Natural Market will be given away during each event! Learn more about Pomme Natural Market below.
1. Nutrition for Parents to Support their Child Athlete | January 20, 2021 | 6:00pm-8:00pm - Register Now
This presentation will provide an overview of nutrition fundamentals and provide strategies and tips for parents to support their children’s nutrition. The presentation will discuss key macronutrients, the importance of nutrition for athletes, strategies for meal preparation, seasonal eating tips, grab-and-go snack ideas and discuss how to incorporate the information into a simple meal outline for a busy athlete.Learning Objectives:
- Understand the fundamentals of nutrition and the key macronutrients
- Learn about the importance of each macronutrient and examples
- Develop an understanding of the importance of nutrition for athletes
- Develop strategies for navigating meal preparation with a busy schedule
- Tips for eating seasonally and winter food ideas
- Review grab-and-go snack examples to help fuel athletes
- Incorporate information into developing a simple meal outline for a busy athlete
2. Nutrition for High Performance athletes | January 27, 2021 | 6:00pm-8:00pm - Register Now
This presentation will discuss nutrition for athletes in-depth, looking at the biochemical side of nutrition, the importance of micronutrients, foods that support the immune system, and discuss key components of nutrient timing to optimize recovery.
- Understand what happens to the food we eat at a biochemical level
- Learn about the interaction between various nutrients that can increase or impair absorption and bioavailability.
- Develop an understanding of the important role micronutrients play
- Discuss foods that support your immune system
- Discuss key components of nutrient timing to optimize recovery
3. How Coaches can Support their Athletes’ Nutrition | February 3, 2021 | 6:00pm-8:00pm - Register Now
This presentation will focus on strategies for coaches to support their athletes’ nutrition. The presentation will address nutritional impacts on performance, strategies for fueling before, during and after competition, how to have appropriate conversations around food and intake with athletes, discuss practical tips for helping athletes track nutrition, and discuss the importance of understanding the unique nutrition needs of athletes.Learning Objectives:
- Understand the impact nutrition can have on performance at practice and in competition
- Discuss strategies and tips for fuelling before, during and after competition
- Discuss strategies for navigating conversations around food and intake of athletes
- Learn about practical tools that can support athletes and their nutrition
- Discuss the importance of recognizing the unique nutrition needs of athletes
About the Presenter, Alison Quinlan
Alison Quinlan is a registered dietitian, mental performance consultant and avid athlete. Alison competed for UVic in golf at and continued to compete after graduation down in the states on mini-professional tours. She then completed a Master's of Science in Kinesiology at Uvic and worked as a mental performance consultant with athletes from various sports before returning to school to become a registered dietitian. Alison combines her passion areas of nutrition with the mental side to help empower athletes to create changes that contribute to their sport performance and overall enjoyment as an athlete.
About the Sponsor, Pomme Natural Market
Pomme Natural Market is 100% BC owned and operated with locations in Port Coquitlam and Nanaimo. They feature groceries selected with the highest ethical and nutritional standards, organic and local spray-free produce, and a wide range of top quality natural supplements and skincare. Pomme makes the healthiest, most forward-thinking food choices easy!
Visit their website at https://www.pommenaturalmarket.com
Coaches Mental Training Series 2021 - Register Now
This 3-Part Mental Training Series for Coaches includes 2 NCCP courses and one in-house workshop led by PacificSport Vancouver Island staff.
Participants may register for one, two, or all courses/workshops.
1. NCCP Basic Mental Skills | February 6, 2021 | 9:30am-1:00pm - Register Now
- Cost: $55
- Location: VIU Campus | Room TBD
The Basic Mental Skills module gives you the ability to: a) recognize signs indicating that an athlete may need to improve his/her goal setting, focus, and anxiety control skills; and develop tools to help the athlete to make improvements in these areas and b) run simple guided activities that help athletes improve basic mental skills.
Facilitator: Bryan Baxter
2. NCCP Psychology of Performance | February 21, 2021 | 9:00am-5:00pm - Register Now
- Cost: $110
- Location: VIU Campus | Room TBD
Coaches looking to increase their knowledge on the role that mental training can impact their coaching practice are encouraged to take this course. Coaches will enhance their learning in key mental training areas around vizualization, focus strategies, goal setting, and communication. Completing Psychology of Performance will allow you to: a) Help athletes learn to manage distractions and use visualization techniques to prepare themselves technically and tactically for training and competition; b) Learn how to work with athletes or teams to identify performance and process goals related to their ability to focus on performance; and c) Learn debriefing skills that can be used to help athletes assess their performance in both training and competition.
Facilitator: Geoff Hackett
3. Mindset X's and O's: Mental Game Plan for Coaches | February 27, 2021 | 9:30am-2:00pm - Register Now
- Cost: $45
- Location: VIU Campus | Room TBD
Applying mental skills to equip athletes with the tools they need to succeed is a big challenge. Traditionally, coaches and athletes have focused their efforts on physical training. Over time, the technical, tactical and mental aspects of performance have gained a more important role. This workshop will focus on specific mental skills that coaches can use for their athletes in the context of their sport.
Coaches will be organized into groups from similar sports and provided with specific activities that relate to the context of their sport (e.g. racing sports like rowing have lots of structure, so a race plan and specific routines are important to prepare athletes to perform at their best). Coaches will brain storm and identify key mental components of their sport, apply specific activities to address these mental areas, and deliver an activity to build their specific skills.
This workshop is intended to provide an opportunity to apply the education from the NCCP workshops as well offer an interactive environment to learn from other coaches in applying mental skills to their sport.
Facilitators: Geoff Hackett & Kevin Lindo
All Youth Matter: Inclusion Training - Register Now!
Calling all our community leaders, we have an opportunity for you to be part of a very important initiative. All Youth Matter Inclusion Training was developed to help sport and community organizations ensure their experiences are safe, welcome and inclusive to all youth, especially those who are underserved.
Through this online workshop, participants learn about the factors that contribute to an inclusive environment, how to identity and address barriers and biases, and steps to take to intervene and stop discrimination. In addition, participants are provided with tools, techniques and best practices to create inclusive sport, recreation and physical activity experiences for youth from under served or marginalized populations.
Participants will also receive a personalized action plan for change, an All Youth Matter: Inclusion Training Certificated of Completion, and 3 National Coaching Certification Program (NCCP) Professional Development (PD) points (if applicable).
- There is approximately 10-30 minutes of pre-work (homework) to be completed prior to the online workshop.
- We will be seeking feedback on the virtual delivery and overall workshop content and facilitation. A survey link will be send out 48 hours before and within 24-48 hours after the workshop is complete.
- The workshop will take place over two days: Saturday February 20th from 10:00am-12:00pm and Saturday February 27th from 1:00pm-3:00pm. You must attend both sessions to receive a completed certificate.
All Youth Matter: Inclusion Training
Hosted by PacificSport VI
Saturday February 20, 2021 10:00am-12:00pm
Saturday February 27, 2021 1:00pm-3:00pm
Online Delivery via Zoom
viaSport NCCP Course Calendar